Monday, August 17, 2009

NIKLOLAI ZHERDEV SPEAKS OUT

by HOCKEY OBSERVER



This Interview was given by ex-New York Rangers forward Nikolai Zherdev who has recently become unrestricted free agent to Russia media one week ago.

Nikolai Zherdev, whose contract with the Rangers ended after the end of the season, insisted salary 4,7 million dollars, while the club was ready to offer Russian, only 3.2 million. In the end, it came to arbitration, which awarded Zherdev the annual salary of 3.9 million. But New York doesn't want to offer such contract to our legionnaire, as result he became unrestricted free agent.

- Maybe it is better that the initiative of "Rangers" did not go back down and abandon you? Now you are free in their choice.
- While I do not even know how all this is assessed. I do not know well what I have to change the team or not. I must confess: I have believed until recently that, Rangers agree with my contract conditions. Perhaps, only time will put all points on the i.

- Negotiations with other clubs, you must believe in the midst?
- So far has not been definitively resolved the issue with Rangers, we do not talk with anybody. I'm permanently in touch with my agent, we discuss emerging options. Called many clubs have already expressed interest in my services.

- There are KHL teams interested as well?
- Yes, but, as I have repeatedly emphasized, I would like to continue my career in the NHL - this option is for me a priority. Although the chance that will come back to play in Russia, does not rule away.

- Not so long ago appeared information that you plan to begin preparations for the season along with the Moscow "Atlanta." Does this mean that you can go back to the club, the colors which have once defended?
- It was no negotiation with "Atlanta" at all.

- And how realistic your appearance in "Salavat Yulaev"?
- I will not hide: it is one of the options.

- In Ufa team you have more friends than any other KHL club.
- Judging by those players who are invited to the national team, then yes. But this does not mean that my future club becomes "Salavat". Active negotiations would begin as soon as possible. Let's see who will have more need of me and who will offer the best conditions.

- So you do not hurry?
- Yes, I cannot determine any specific dates.

- Recently it was a list of participants published by FHR for pre-Olympics camp, which will be held in Moscow in late August. Surprisingly, you are not among the 38 hockey players, caused by Vyacheslav Bykov.
- Frankly, this surprised me too. Because some time ago I have already seen myself on the Internet list of candidates.

- That list, as it turned out, was a "duck." What, in your opinion, the reasons may be in the national team coaches do not call you?
- Do not even imagine that on this occasion to think.

- I believe, the last time you chatted with Bykov was at the World championships in Switzerland, did you?
- No, we were in touch with him just two weeks ago. But the theme of the pre-olympic camp wasn't affected.

- According to some reports, coaches seem to have been unhappy with the fact that you couldn't finish playing until the end of the World Championship ...
- But I also played in Switzerland, two games with a broken finger! I just could not play any more!

- Perhaps you will come in later list. Do you think you have a chance to go to the Olympics?
- I do not know. But to me, of course, I would like to play at the Games in Vancouver. I dreamed about it long ago.

- If you are going to play in the KHL, but even more so in the "Salavat", the chances will increase for sure.
- Who knows. I think the main thing in this matter - show a decent game.

No comments:

Post a Comment