Monday, June 22, 2009

Sundin Won't Play Olympics




STOCKHOLM -- Veteran centre Mats Sundin will reportedly not play for defending champion Sweden in the Olympic hockey tournament next year.

"There will be no Olympics in Vancouver for me next year," Sundin was quoted as saying Sunday on the Swedish newspaper Expressen's website. "I will not change my mind," Sundin told the newspaper. "I think it's time that the next generation takes over. We have many good players."

The 38-year-old Sundin, who played for the Vancouver Canucks last season after spending most of his NHL career with the Toronto Maple Leafs, was one of Sweden's key players in the 2006 Turin Olympics. Sweden beat Finland in the final for its second gold since 1994.

"It was the perfect ending of a long career for Sweden, to lead the Swedish team against the best in the world and win Olympic gold for the first time when all teams had their stars playing. I could not have dreamed of a better scenario for my last game."

Sundin said he is still pondering about his future in the NHL and did not rule out playing another season with Vancouver.

"Absolutely," he was quoted as saying when asked if he might play again with the Canucks. "I will think about my future the next couple of weeks. I will make a decision in the summer. I can't say more right now."

No comments:

Post a Comment